Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hang yourself with this one . . . .


Beautiful orchids


A prisoner on death row was visited by his jailer, who was known to be an honest man. “You will hang one day between Monday and Friday next week”, said the jailer, “but it will be on the day you least expect it.”

The condemned man thought over the jailer’s words and, after a while, his face brightened. He explained to the jailer that he had concluded that he was not to be hanged after all.

“I can’t be hanged on Friday”, he reasoned, “Because if I am still alive on Thursday, “I will certainly be expecting the noose on Friday.

“But I can’t be hanged on Thursday either.  First, I know it can’t be Friday. If I am still alive on Wednesday night, then Thursday will be the only day left. So I can’t be hanged on Thursday.

“The same is true for Wednesday, if they haven’t hanged me by Tuesday night.

“Then, by Monday night, there will be only Tuesday left, which means it cannot happen on Tuesday either. That leaves Monday, but because I now expect to be hanged on Monday, the execution cannot be held then, or your word will be broken. The truth is, you are playing a trick on me”.

The jailer look thoughtful, then said; “I can promise you that I am telling you the truth.”

Thursday dawned, and the indignant prisoner was dragged from his cell to the gallows. “You are a liar,” he shouted at the jailer.

“Not at all,” replied the jailer calmly. “You convinced yourself that you would not be hanged. As a result, any day we set for the hanging would be unexpected. Which is no more than what I said.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Heritage Day 2018: South Africa

My name is Nigel Olifaut. I am a white South African male, proud to be white with my declaration for Heritage Day 24 September 2018: 1....